Friday, October 10, 2014

Pat Roberts Threatens Cruz-Style Filibuster Over Guantanamo

When someone who claims to be a liberal or progressive refers to this, and blames President Obama, it causes me to wonder if they are really undercover Republicans. If they know enough about what is going on to know about the issue, why don't they know that it is the Republicans that have been blocking it?

Roberts refers to ISIS, but one of the things causes people to support it is the mistreatment of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. Although I don't know that they would be better off in a prison in the U.S., where there is a lot of mistreatment of prisoners.

http://atr.rollcall.com/elections-2014-pat-roberts-ted-cruz-filibuster-guantanamo/?dcz=

By Alexis Levinson
Oct. 10, 2014

Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., threatened Friday to hold a Ted Cruz-style filibuster on the Senate floor to prevent President Barack Obama from bringing the prisoners currently held at Guantanamo Bay into the United States.

•••••

Speaking to reporters after, Roberts said he was proposing a potential filibuster in the model of Cruz’s 21-plus hours on the Senate floor last year protesting funding Obamacare.

“Once you get control of the floor, then you just don’t leave it,” Roberts said. “Ted Cruz did that with regards to Obamacare. If it’s necessary I’ll do it with terrorists.”

Roberts said he would stay on the floor for “as long as it takes.”

“I don’t know if I can do 21 hours — maybe 22 or 23,” he said. “But I will have help on this. I can see John McCain there, and I can see Lindsey Graham there, and I can see Kelly Ayotte there, and I can see a whole bunch of other people there.”

•••••

No comments:

Post a Comment